North Norfolk Vikings Swimming Club, based in north Walsham, Norfolk, is seeking a Lead Coach to join their team. NNVSC is a competitive club affiliated to swim England. It competes in the Est Region and provides a learn to swim programme through to performance squads and masters. This is a relatively small club, nevertheless delivers good results at competitions and has a great ethos of working hard from the swimmers, coaches and committee.
The swimmer’s performance results are improving as are the numbers and there is the potential for a motivated Lead Coach to take the club to the next level. The club would like to continue to develop its offering to all swimmers and develop them technically from a young age, to propel them to a successful swimming career and a lifelong love of the sport.
The Lead Coach will work with a devoted, motivated and enthusiastic coaching team to develop the club further. The successful candidate will have excellent communication (written/ verbal) and management skills, the ability to positively inspire confidence and motivate the swimmers to be the best that they can be. Candidates will preferably be ASA coach qualified with a willingness to work towards their higher-level coaching qualifications or have already completed their higher-level coaching badge (formerly level 3). A mentor programme can be put into place for less experienced coaches.
The hours are to be agreed but will include evening training sessions, weekend training, attendance at weekend competitions and necessary administration. The skills and qualifications to deliver dry-land training would be advantageous. The Lead Coach has a key role at the Club in supporting the Club ethos to encourage children, and young people at all levels of ability and achievement to enjoy and benefit from swimming. The position will require working within the coaching setup, reporting to the Committee, providing leadership to swimmers, coaches, volunteers and parents to facilitate swimmers reaching their full potential.
Main responsibilities (not exhaustive):
- To set direction and performance targets for all Performance Squads, specifically relating to the continuation of an effective squad structure in conjunction with the Coaching team that feeds in to the Performance Squads.
- Provide a committed and professional approach towards coaching and supporting ALL swimmers to reach their full potential. Facilitate setting individual goals, outlining appropriate training and competition plans for those swimmers qualifying/aspiring to county, regional, and national competitions. Communication with parents / guardians to support the above.
- Actively encourage members to take part in competitions and put effective processes in place to monitor and understand the reasons for changes in participation levels.
- To continue the existing scientifically based annual training and competition programme based around the principles of long-term athlete development with ongoing refinement and improvement of the same. Prepare or oversee the preparation of training session plans for the performance squads and allocate water time to the squads accordingly.
- Monitor swimmers’ progress and co-ordinate swimmer transition within the squad structure (in conjunction with the other squad coaches), and relay information to relevant committee members in a timely manner.
- Working with the coaching team, oversee the selection of swimmers for Club competitions (including relay events at county/regional championships) and ensure distribution of team lists giving ample notification to members.